Manufacturing is an industrial process that involves production of merchandise for sale or for use. It utilizes labor, machines, tools, processing or formulation. It is generally referred to as industrial production where raw materials are transformed into finished goods on a large scale. Other finished goods may also be used to manufacture other, more complex products, like household appliances, aircrafts or automobiles. Manufacturers of these more complex goods sell them to whole sellers, who in turn sell them to retailers who then sell them to consumers.
Modern manufacturing involves all intermediate processes required for the production and integration of a product’s components. Some industries use the term fabrication which also means manufacturing.
Types of Manufacturing Equipment
Manufacturing equipment is used in the assembly or creation of a wide range of products or goods. Generally, there are three types of manufacturing equipment machines:
- Machines that create items
- Machines that assemble items
- Machines that help human operators in creating or assembling items.
These machines come in a wide variety of styles and configurations because they are designed with a very specific purpose in mind.
Basic Operations Involved in Manufacturing
- Creation of a manufactured good. A raw material is brought into the system and it is being molded, melted or whittled into a specific shape and design. The original material is so different from the final outcome. This operation uses a milling machine. Raw materials like wood, metal or plastic are formed into final products. It also uses molding machines to create different shapes from materials. This operation also uses mechanical means like dies and presses to change the shape of items.
- Assembly of a manufactured good. An assembled product is made of a number of premade objects that are brought together to make a final form. The original pieces are all still in the final product. In the assembly operation, there is more direct human interaction. While the product moves down a conveyor belt, robotic workers, human workers or a piece of equipment will perform very specific tasks. These tasks are based on the product being assembled. Machines involved in this operation vary from one industry to another. However, all industries usually use a spot welding machine. Some welding machines are robotic welders that weld a specific part into a specific spot on the item being assembled. The welding machine can also work on smaller items like electronic equipment or circuit board.